Driver CPC Training
Driver CPC for Lorry, Bus and Coach Drivers
Under the current European Union Directive, professional lorry, bus and coach drivers need to hold a Driver Qualification Card
in addition to a vocational driving licence. Any drivers of lorries over 3.5 tonnes and minibuses with 9 seats or more must
obtain a Driver Qualification Card.
The Driver Qualification Card is acquired from the DVSA when 35 hours of Driver CPC Training has been completed.
Driver CPC is short for “Driver Certificate of Professional Competence”. The EU passed the Driver CPC Directive in 2003 this
affects all professional LGV and PCV drivers for new drivers it introduces a new initial qualification, the Driver CPC increases
the level of knowledge that drivers need before they can drive.
All drivers, new and existing, must now undertake 35 hours of training every five years to ensure that their Driver CPC remains valid, this is known as Periodic Training.
Periodic Training is designed to confirm and expand on the existing knowledge and skills of each driver to ensure that they continue
to be safe, courteous and fuel-efficient drivers, this will also enable drivers to keep up-to-date with ever changing regulations and
to benefit from training throughout their whole career.
Here at Transport & Training Services we run regular Driver CPC courses for LGV/PCV drivers in our training room at our Warrington office,
we can also provide training at a local facility to you or at your site should you have a suitable training room and the minimum number of drivers required
we are totally flexible to your needs - we are here to help you avoid the pitfalls of training and operate more efficiently.
The Trainers who deliver our courses have been fully trained, have working knowledge and hands on experience within the transport industry so you can
be confident you are in the hands of fully qualified and experienced instructors.
You must have Driver CPC if you need a driving licence shown in the table to drive a relevant vehicle.
|Type of vehicle
||C1 and C1+E
||C and C+E
||D1 and D1+E
|Buses and coaches
||D and D+E
When you don’t need the full Driver CPC
You don’t need the full Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) qualification if you’re using the vehicle for:
- non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods for personal use
- carrying material or equipment you use for your job (driving the vehicle can’t be the main part of your job)
- driving lessons for anyone who wants to get a driving licence or a Driver CPC
- driving to or from pre-booked appointments at official vehicle testing centres
- driving within 62 miles (100 kilometers) of your base - but the vehicle can’t be carrying passengers or goods, and driving a lorry, bus or coach can’t be your main job
- maintaining public order - and the vehicle is being used or controlled by a local authority
- rescue missions or in states of emergency
You also don’t need the full Driver CPC if the vehicle is:
- limited to a top speed of 28mph
- being used or controlled by the armed forces, police, fire and rescue service, prison service or people running a prison or young offender institution
Call our friendly team today to ask how we can help you gain your Driver CPC modules today
Tel: 01925 243500 (Mon-Fri) 9.00am -17.15pm